May 28, 2016

Encouragement for Single Moms: It Gets Easier

When my kids were much younger, sleeping in on the weekends was pretty much unheard of.  They would awaken at the crack of dawn with cries of "Mommy, I'm hungry" or "Mommy, I'm bored", or sometimes they'd just say "Mommy" for the sake of it.  My body became used to rising with the morning sun, even on the weekends they spent with their dad.

Seemingly overnight, the tables have turned.  The sun rises while my slumber continues.  The cries of my children have been replaced with light snores and the occasional rustling sound of their covers as they reposition themselves for deeper sleep.  Every now and then, I'll awaken to the sound of my daughter making pancakes for breakfast. 
Yummy pancakes made by my daughter.

Sometimes, I wake up before them and enjoy the sweet silence that comes from being the only one awake in the house.  These are times I have chosen to spend reading, writing, praying or just sipping on a cup of tea and planning the day ahead.

Back then, it seemed impossible that things would ever get easier.  But let me tell you, it does.  And it creeps up on you before you even realize it's happening.  One minute you're changing poopy diapers, the next you're constantly vacuuming up Cheerios and Goldfish crackers from every nook and cranny of your car.  Next thing you know, you look up and they're mini adults making you breakfast in bed and telling you how much they love and appreciate everything you do.  It's bittersweet, knowing that your children are growing up and not as dependent on you as they once were.  Only God knows what the future holds, but I'm excited about the next chapter of my children's lives, as they navigate their teenage years and enter young adulthood.

So to my single mamas raising little ones on your own, I say this: hang in there.  You are doing an amazing job.  I know you might not hear that often, but even at this young age your kids see what you're doing.  Before you know it, they'll be telling you just how amazing you are.

Happy weekend!

1 comment:

Vote For Me @ The Top Mommy Blogs Directory Vote For Me @ The Top Mommy Blogs Directory