Jan 24, 2013

Statistics on Domestic Violence

Last night I attended a training session to begin volunteering with the YWCA domestic violence program.  They told us some statistics that were pretty eye-opening for me and I would like to share them with you:

A woman is beaten every 15 seconds in the U.S.

1 out of every 4 women in the U.S. will experience domestic violence in her lifetime.  There were 3 survivors in the training session, including me.

Females aged 20-24 are at the greatest risk of non-fatal intimate partner violence.

85% of women murdered in TN are killed by men.  That makes TN 3rd in the country; a statistic we most definitely should not be proud of.  However, these murders are usually not reported as domestic-violence related.  In fact, the media often adds a "romantic" element to these types of stories, calling them love triangles or crimes of passion.

I am really excited that I have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of women affected by this terrible epidemic.  If you were touched by these statistics, I encourage you to consider donating your time and/or money to further the mission of the YWCA to empower the women of Davidson County and beyond.  Visit their website at www.ywcanashville.com.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats to you for using your story as a way to help others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte that is so awesome! You are an inspiration! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so wonderful that survivors such as yourself are sharing your stories, and trying to help others break the cycle. Thank you for helping our communities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! I truly believe that I had those experiences for a reason...not just as a lesson for me in what an unhealthy relationship looks like so I can know to avoid another one in the future, but also so I can help others in the same situation and make a difference in their lives.

    ReplyDelete

Vote For Me @ The Top Mommy Blogs Directory Vote For Me @ The Top Mommy Blogs Directory