Jun 25, 2016

#familytimeisthebesttime

The past month or so has been crazy busy for me!  Both of my kids celebrate birthdays in May; add to that the end of school festivities (field trips, graduations...) as well as the demands of my full-time job, which were particularly demanding last month, and I felt like I was about to lose my mind!

So when I found out that my Uncle Everton (whom I haven't seen in 7 years!) was planning a visit to Miami to visit my cousin, Andrew (whom I'd never met before!) for a few days, on a weekend my kids happened to be with their dad...well I hopped online and booked myself a ticket to go and see him!  Only thing is, he had absolutely no idea I was coming!  The look on his face when he saw me walking towards the car with my suitcase was PRICELESS!

We had a fun-packed 4 days together; enjoying the beautiful Miami weather, visiting with family and taking in some of the sights.  But my favorite part was the time we spent catching up after so many years.  I had a great relationship with him as a kid, and that relationship has evolved into something even more special now that I am an adult.  It was somewhat surreal talking about "grown-up stuff" with him like my job, my kids...even romantic relationships.  But I loved every minute of it!

My uncle and me...once the shock had worn off!!
Photo credit: Everton Davis
While in Miami, I got to meet a lot of family I didn't know I had!  My cousin, Andrew and his wife, who were the best hosts and gracious enough to let me stay with them at such short notice.  Aunts and cousins I either had never met or hadn't seen in several years.  I have been living in Nashville for 14 years, believing I had no family close by.  I've spent way too many holidays at home alone, wishing I could be closer to my family.  When all along, I've had a large extended family living a two-hour flight away!  Family that loves me and wants to get to know me and be a part of mine and my children's lives.

More importantly, I learned that family time is the best time.  Never take for granted a single moment you get to spend with your family.  Tell them you love them at every opportunity, because you never know when it will be your last.  I'm not sure when I'll get to see my uncle again.  Hopefully it won't be anywhere near as long as 7 years.  But I can honestly say we did not waste a single moment of our brief time together.  Thanks for the memories, Uncle Ev!


Fun times at South Beach!
Photo credit: Everton Davis

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Vote For Me @ The Top Mommy Blogs Directory Vote For Me @ The Top Mommy Blogs Directory